Friday, November 23, 2007

A chance encounter with an Indonesian soldier

My week started rather early on Sunday due to some responsibilities I had to undertake at work. Honestly, it was really a dread to go back to work on a Sunday but it was worth the while when the participants quietly appreciated my efforts. It was a hell of a day but I guess nothing beats some unpredictable events in the week.

Over the next few days, the battalion was getting ready to receive the Indonesians who had just arrived on our shores. The partaking in exchanges between the 2 armed forces was very much anticipated.

I had a brief exchange with one of the Indonesian soldiers today and it must have been the most insightful conversation I had in recent weeks. This soldier was soft-spoken and well mannered, much to my amazement. Soft-spoken and humble never seemed to be the words to describe them before they came. He acknowledged my rank and proceeded to ask questions regarding our training in Singapore. It was when I asked him questions that I felt I had to better appreciate where I came from. I must admit, he looked remarkably similar to my father as most of the Indonesians were. No surprise that my family is a descendant of the Javanese origin; the land where this soldier was born. He was a corporal who rose through the ranks through a good 14 years. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that, adding that he was already 36 and he was still a fighting fit soldier. To them, it seemed that being a soldier was very much a privilege in back home where only 200 of 1000 applicants get the eventual nod to join the country's armed forces. It was so contrasting to the fact that in Singapore, it is an eventual norm that everyone would have to serve the nation. This soldier was a father of 2 very young sons, 8 and 4. Sadly, he only has the opportunity to visit them once in 18 months. It was alarming to hear how his sons would not acknowledge him when he returns. His looks only appear as bare traces in his children's memories. He shares his memories and experiences with great enthusiasm; his face lighting up at the mention of his family. At the end of our conversation, I was left dwelling on the thoughts of my actions, my situation and experiences. I realised I have only discovered so little of the world.

Looking at the world in the eyes of others can really do wonders sometimes. That conversation enlightened me in ways I could never imagine. It really shows how much we do take things for granted. Does life always have to be about me all the time? That question I hope will be answered in time to come as I improve on my weaknesses.

On a lighter note, I definitely had a great time watching "Enchanted" wuth Kai Wei on Thursday. Sometimes I do think that our friendship was a chance encounter that was truely magical. Every experience is magical in a sense. Every experience enchanted.

No comments: