Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Dream Platoon Commander.

The past month has been rather challenging to note. On one side, I realise how much I need to level up myself as a platoon commander in my administrative capabilities; operational staff work, report writing and even right down to details of leaves and offs of the men. More importantly, I have learnt many a lesson regarding how to handle people who come from so many different backgrounds. I begin to realise this job is tougher than it looks, when expectations of the leader is apparently high within the platoon. I'm feeling the pressure, yet then again it always comes with the job.

Listening in to the men has a way of saying, "I care for you, so tell me your problems". Sometimes people really think it is really easy to listen. Its not when everyone else likes to talk about ourselves most of the time. Its really good to know what's on their minds, as its only then that I can attend to their needs. A good leader sees each and every individual to be someone unique who has a potential beyond his wildest dreams. I want to see myself do that for them before I move on to my new life in 9 months time.

I took my first steps to listening to their expectations of their "Dream Platoon Commander", getting them to write down what they'd want from myself as their leader. Words are varied in structure and grammar but most did say they want one who can motivate them in times of joy and sorrow. The commanders know they crave someone who can guide the platoon. They want me to navigate the way for them to succeed.

Life in the army can be irritating sometimes, but most times, one will meet situations only the human spirit will prevail. I see myself imparting this value of determination to the men in time to come. Eventually, I really want to see myself being an excellent platoon commander.

Taking life each day will not suffice. I need to start navigating the future for this bunch of men. This group of soulja boyz...

No comments: